Pink October: 2014

Two years ago I pledged to wear pink everyday of October in honor of my mother and her battle with breast cancer. This year, I am bringing pink October back and would love to have you join me, even if just for a day!
Read my family's story here and feel free to share your own.
This post was originally posted in 2012 and has since been edited.


Eight years ago my mother entered into her greatest battle ever, the fight for her life. It was April of 2006, and I was in my final year of middle school. I had the opportunity to go to France for a week with my charming french teacher and having gone the preceding year, I was itching to go once again. 
After hopping off the plane at Charles De Gaulle, I see you Miley, I rediscovered the Parisian charm and remembered just how perfect the city was. We flitted from Nice perfumeries, to the swanky beaches of Monaco (pro tip: retire in Monaco, its fabulous) and spent Easter afternoon on the quaint Spanish coast.
A week before I was set to leave for the trip I had gotten home from school earlier than usual. 
Most days, my mother was there after school with various snacks, ready to pester us about our days. That day, I was greeted instead by a message on our answering machine. It was from a doctor's office, whose I was unsure, but right away I knew something was out of sorts. 

The words stuck with me, but the cogs in my head would not let them process.

Sure enough, the day after I got back from France, a week before my birthday, they said it. 

She had the big "C," stage three. 

Much of that year was a blur and even as I reflect back on it now many of the scenes have been blocked out, the only thing I truly remember was how unsure and scary it all was. And for some reason my mother chose to hide her story among her strength. October became a touchy month in our house, as soon as everything went pink and my mother's mood went south. Other women seemed to wear their ribbons like badges, they were proud of their fight. Sometimes I thought that perhaps I would never forgive her for the permanent frown fixed upon her face. 
But this year feels different to me.
Remorse and anger is no longer fighting its way through my body. Instead, I feel nothing but pride. My mother is the strongest woman I know, by far.

So, for everyday of October, I will feed into the pink campaign. Something in my outfit has to be pink. From my unmentionables to my headband, just to remind myself just how strong my own mother is.
Below are the first few days of my pink campaign from 2011.

 31 days, 31 ways to wear pink and raise awareness.
Day One 10.1.11
Day Two 10.2.11
Day Three 10.3.11
Day Four 10.4.11
Day Five 10.5.11

Day Six 10.6.11
I think most everyone is affected by cancer in some way. Although it may seem unfair and daunting, I think that knowing that you are not alone is the biggest thing. I would love to have all of you, and your friends, join me in Pink October. You do not necessarily have to go full out Elle Woods pink like I plan on, but even just putting in an extra prayer for those who are suffering and even one to encourage those strong survivors.

If you do choose to participate in Pink October this month, use the hashtag #OllaPinkOctober on social media. 
I would love nothing more than to see your pinch of pink!